Saturday 22 September 2012

Character Piece No. 1

Last class, I played the beginnings of my first character piece based on those 14 chords. I'm writing for horn and piano, the two instruments I know best. It was still a pretty rough outline of the piece, with parts not yet filled in, no dynamic markings or anything... But it established the basic character, particularly a rhythmic motive carried in the RH piano for most of the piece.

I got some really helpful feedback from the class, mostly about this recurring motive. They liked the idea and the character it created, but suggested I explore ways to make it less predictable -- use it in different registers, give some to the horn, maybe offset the motive in horn and piano... add or subtract notes to create variation, play with subtle ways to change it up. If it's too repetitive, the danger is that we'll all get sick of it. Never a good thing! So there were lot of good ideas for me to think about.
Dr. Ross said it has potential - encouraging words! So now to try to realize that potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment