Monday 1 October 2012

on repetition, variation, contrast

I played a much more complete version of my first piece last class, and got some positive feedback as well as helpful suggestions and ideas to consider as I do some revision:

  • The section featuring melody in RH piano line is good. Ideas included:
      • making this section longer - it's an different sort of figure, incorporating melody into a running eighth note line, but I only use it once in the whole piece
      • adding a simple horn part here
    • I don't think I'll extend the section - it would throw off my sense of structure/organization. But I'm thinking of using this type of figure in another area of the piece so it's not just a one time thing. If I can make it work. And I may add a horn line here - as long as it won't detract from the RH piano melody. 
  • When the first section repeats, consider varying it to keep the audience's interest. 
      • vary the accompanying figure so it's not as predictable
      • use different octaves/registers
      • change a few rhythms and/or notes...
    • I agree - I lose focus sometimes myself when I'm listening to the repetition. I have considered taking it out completely, but now think I will keep it in with some minor changes to keep the performers and listeners engaged.
This raises the issue of repetition in music: in general, too much repetition makes a piece boring, but too little repetition makes it loses its sense of focus and logical structure. I suppose it's all about balance - finding the right balance of repetition and contrast or variation.
Of course, the performer also has a role to play in creating variation and capturing the audience's attention. They always tell us, "Don't play the same thing exactly the same way twice! Find ways to highlight different aspects of the material, subtle changes in character." Plenty of music in the core repertoire has a lot of repetition - pretty much any piece in sonata form repeats the entire exposition! It's up to the performer to present it in a slightly different way.
So the composer in me says, "Repetition is great. It's simpler for me and gives the piece some logic/organization. The performers will make sure it doesn't become boring."
But the performer in me says, "Hey, don't be lazy! Give me some more to work with here - make my job easier!"
And since I am both composer and performer of this piece... yes. I will write some more variation into the score.

Ok - too much blog writing and not enough music writing. Or practicing for that matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment