Friday 19 October 2012

DEADlines

We are all scheduled to perform our set of pieces next week Thursday! Exciting! But so soon! Yes, this means I need to: a) finish writing my third piece; and b) learn to play them.
I'm not too worried about finishing the composition - I have a good start on the third piece now. But putting it all together to perform in less than a week will be a bit stressful! As I've been writing them, I've taken the difficulty of the horn part into consideration, knowing that my horn major friend is doing me a big favour in playing them with me, and not wanting to add too much to the pile of music she already has to work on. I haven't been quite as thoughtful towards the pianist - because the pianist is me, and I figured I'd figure it out. And so I will. It will happen! It has to happen!
We discussed moving the recital back a week, but the vote was to keep it as is. I'm ok with that now - it will be nice to have this assignment done with so we can get going on the next one! And I suppose deadlines are a fact of life.

More about the third piece now. It has a straightforward melody in the horn on top of running scales/arpeggios in the piano. Someone commented in class that it has a Debussy-ish sound, and that it works well with the character of my first piece. Suggestions included freeing up the rhythm of the horn, and considering using the mute in some sections. I had thought about mutes but hadn't decided for sure. The general consensus was that the mute would work well here, so I think I will put it in. Also a formatting issue: where there's so many notes in the piano, Sibelius was fitting only one bar per system. I have figured out how to lock the number of bars per system so that I won't be constantly flipping pages.

One last note: I really need to come up with proper titles so I can stop calling them 1, 2 and 3! Any suggestions? :)

1 comment:

  1. I like to use weird song titles (from my iTunes library, for example), or phrases from lyrics, ones that I find capture a sense of what the piece is about.

    I'm struggling with my third piece too. We can do it though! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete